Saturday, March 18, 2017

Update: What's Going On Right Now?

Hey. In the slim chance that you check back here to see if I've done anything lately, I've got some stuff to say.

For the past two months, I've had a draft entitled "Update: Will." It's set to be my final farewell to this blog, but at the same time, I'm too scared to start writing it. I don't know if I'd regret it or not. And so it sits, empty, to be posted one day, be it in two months or two years.

First of all: no, I don't want to abandon this site. But there will be a lot less going on here. This was a labor of love since I was 12. I'm 16 now, and I don't know how to feel about leaving the old stomping grounds behind. 

I will say that my attention has focused a lot on the other blog, Unfunny Guy. Allow me to explain a bit.

For the first time, I felt like people actually cared about what I had to say. Suddenly, I had legitimate status. I wasn't forcing myself up a social ladder (and failing)- I was actually a part of it. People have given me nice comments. People have referenced the stuff I've written. And, most importantly, I made an awesome friend along the way who, get this, I actually inspired to start writing in the first place. And now he's even more successful than me!

I never had any of those experiences here. Don't get me wrong, I've gotten to work with a lot of awesome people (and I do love all of you guys who stick around), but I always felt like I was intruding. Now, it feels like I'm part of a community that appreciates the effort I put into what I type. I've even expanded into new frontiers with a responsive audience that actually communicates with me (to an extent, of course.) Plus, I'm actually working on a legitimate collaborative piece (and it was at the other person's urging, holy crap)!

Another issue is that I've been falling a bit out of video games. Don't get me wrong, I love them to death still, but I haven't even touched my 3DS in a month. Meanwhile, I haven't even thought about getting the Nintendo Switch with my insane workload. Without experiencing a game in a long time, what's the point in writing about them? The other blog, on the other hand, is something I actually enjoy operating, and it actually feels kind of enriching for what I want to do in the future- comedy writing. By analyzing humor, I'm working on deciphering the craft while also refining my own voice and writing prowess. I haven't been so enthusiastic about my work since 2013.

Alright, so that's all been stated, but when am I going to return this blog to some level of its former not-really-glory? I don't know, but I feel bad just killing it off. I want to do more interviews, though I don't know how likely they're going to work out in the future or when they're going up. At the very least, I want to post something every once in a while. My big issue is just motivating myself. I don't know if it's even worth it anymore or if it's healthiest that I just move on.

Once again, I don't want to leave this place. I just don't. It's just a matter of finding time, which unfortunately has been a bit of an issue. Thanks for being a reader; it means a lot. Hopefully we can fire this thing up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment