Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Favorite Videos of 2016: Day 8: Super Mario Bros. Super Show #2

"He's a true American, Italian, made in Japan hero!"
If you want to see a slightly-worse but still bad write-up on a more orthodox PBG episode, I did one last year.
I will say this much: as burned out as I get from video game reviews nowadays (I don't hate them, it's just that my scope has widened a bit more), PBG videos always carry the promise of being something more than that, something special. I suppose he was the first reviewer I found online back in 2013 and served as a gateway, but it certainly helps that he's inherently likable, has good timing, and can pace a video- all pretty crucial elements to what he does.

It shows how well he's able to perform all of these components when he does something different with the formula- this time, he discusses a TV show- and put it through the cycle without making it anything less. if anything, I'd argue that the format allowed for more entertaining bits as PBG grappled on to the show's rapid pacing to create a more involved video chocked full of great little beats.

While the video fits into the "question everything" style of video which I'm realizing I'm inherently attracted to as a format, it does so without a smarmy condescension- PBG's just a guy trying to figure out what the heck's going on, just like us. While there's comedy to be mined from mockery, I think there's even more from confusion because it allows for more raw character and again, increased likeability.


In terms of the good components of the video, I can pinpoint a few things I liked. For instance, PBG's play on the show's format of "character shows up, does stuff, leaves" was delightfully absurd, clearly channeling some BalloonShop vibes, with him angrily confronting another version of himself who lets out silent pleas in the corner- it's strange, enabling it to be memorable. I also liked the extended, deliberately bad song at the end making fun of the show's method of filling up time with 3 minutes of filler music.

Still, head calls. That's where it's at.

No comments:

Post a Comment