Sunday, November 27, 2016

Update: On Fighting the Losing Battle

I think the most important thing to note is no, this is not a dead blog. It's just really slowing down, regardless of if I like it or not.
You see, for the past 8 months, I've been running another blog reviewing episodes of SNL and The Amazing World of Gumball, and that thing has skyrocketed, at least in comparison to this one. Overnight it exploded and it's at 2000 views (whereas it was at 700 only a few weeks ago). It's certainly aided by the fact that posts are regulated by their sheer timeliness, but also that it naturally clicks more with search engines.
Think about it like this: there are few people who are going to look up "Dennis Miller video game," and of those few, there are even less who are going to look up "Talking Points on Dennis Miller video game."

All of the views from this blog come from my Twitter and my Google+ which, quite frankly, have barely any followers on either, most of which are friends I've met along the way (Thanks, guys!) and bots trying to sell me dietary supplements. As such, it's entirely a labor of passion, and I've gone to expect something that took an hour to type to get 14 views, at least half of which are, again, bots. It's a bit disheartening, but I've come to terms with the fact that writing really niche stuff doesn't give views. Streamline content does.
I also want to reaffirm that I make absolutely no money from this blog. There are no strings attached and no ads, which I certainly could add. But I won't.
So, where do we lie?
Well, I'm not dropping interviews. I'm just going to try to get some for next year, because this year hasn't really had much, though the two interviews I've done are some of the best I've managed to drum up.
Also, this blog is pretty much geared at "A Thought to Chews," which I've already done, like, 25 of this year. They're simple and not as labor-intensive as developing a list, which is a huge relief, because lists suck, even if they can draw in a lot of views some of the time.
I will wrap up the year with a series of articles on Pokemon Sun and Moon, as well as the expected list of best articles over the past year because I'm egocentric and also free views (my condescension is really undermining my entire point), and next year I will be doing my Favorite Videos of 2016, though perhaps abridged just because I need to allow for some wiggle room for the transition back to normal content.
Honestly, that's about it. This blog might be slowing down, but it at least has a lot left to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment