Friday, January 15, 2016

Favorite Videos of 2015: Day 15: Instagram Husband

Welcome back!
First of all, I realized only recently that I the bulk of the views on these articles are from Twitter spambots, so that's demotivating. Moving on, unless you missed yesterday's, in which case you should click here.
Today's video is Instagram Husband from The Mystery Hour.


Fun fact: I am smitten with photography, and from the perspective of someone like me, Instagram is essentially an endless abyss of "non-photography". I have my biases- namely in images of Chipotle and Starbucks with a sunset filter- and the video taps into the complete stupidity of Instagram perfectly by demonstrating the unseen side: the poor husbands holding the phone.
Everything about the video is perfectly subtle, from the passive-aggressive commands of the wives to the subtle distress in the husbands, all weary-eyed and full of regret. It also takes on that lovable faux-documentary style, as if interviewing the hopeless subjects, all delivering perfect zingers:
"I'm basically a human selfie stick. Last year for Christmas I actually got her a selfie stick, and then she got mad at me because she thought I was just trying to get out of taking photos... Of course I'm trying to get out of taking your f*cking photos."
Each statement is complimented by a visual, such as a completely unengaged husband taking a picture of his wife running down an alley with an American flag or a wife constantly telling her husband, "Babe, higher." to a point where he's leaning off the rail of a second-story staircase. The whole thing has a remarkably silent tension helping to tie the whole video together into a piece that is both hilarious and depressing at the same time.
For a playlist of my favorite videos, click here. (It grows daily.)

No comments:

Post a Comment