Saturday, March 1, 2014

INTERVIEW: ElectricMudkip Talks Music and Mudkip

1/3/16 NOTE: This was the first of many interviews that I've done over the year or so. As such, there is some slight editing to the format to suit the standards.
None of the answers were edited, obviously, but some of the introduction, for example, is fixed up. Minty Fresh, yo. (I'll probably delete that, actually.)
Ryan Bath is a man of great talent when it comes to music. Under the moniker of ElectricMudkip, his remixes, largely of the Pokemon series, have amassed over 1,00,000 2,000,000 views on Youtube (quite frankly more than I'll ever get, might I add) and 5,000 13,000 subscribers.
And so, I decided he would be the lucky person to be my first interviewee.
Without further ado: ElectricMudkip!

What kinds of video games did you grow up with and how did they influence you?
I played a LOT of GameBoy Advance games when I first obtained my GameBoy SP back at the start of my childhood. The games that ended up being the most influential to me I believe were Pokemon Sapphire/Emerald (no surprise there, eh?), the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and, actually, Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland. I think these particular games influenced me both as a person and as a small-time remixer the most because not only was the music in each game so seemingly inspired to me with their unique melodies and harmonies, but also, considering I played them at such a young age, over-time they taught me a lot about all the cheesy stuff you're supposed to learn with real friends: friendship, and courage, and all that silly stuff. Well, okay. Maybe Kirby didn't teach me any of that specifically; but Mystery Dungeon sure did, with its story and all. And Sapphire/Emerald really got me caring for my digital Poke-buddies, so there's that.
How did you get your interest in music? And why do you make mostly Pokemon remixes?
I've always had a slight interest in music as stated above, but what really piqued my interest to start up what I do today was other people's remixes on YouTube. Their efforts made me realize that I could potentially be doing the same thing with some hard work involved; so I hopped to it, and ended up getting really caught into the whole ordeal. Well, it wasn't quite as straight-forward as that, and I hit many bumps on the road along the way, but you get the point. I focus mainly on Pokemon remixes most of the time for a similar reason as to why I started making remixes in general, but I focus on Pokemon remixes also because Pokemon has always been a huge part of my life ever since I got into the series, and I've always enjoyed its wide array of music from each generation, so what better way to acknowledge that than remix some tracks from the series, right? Haha.
What do you dream of doing in the future?
The future's freaky. I'm honestly not sure if I'll be able to pursue a career in what I'm presently doing now as just a hobby, but you never know I guess--it's indeed, as of right now, the dreamiest of a dream jobs. I don't even care the specifics of said dream job--I could be a video game music composer, an EDM producer, anything of that kind of sort, and I would be content.
Do you have any long-term goals?
I definitely want my work to sound a whole lot more professional in pretty much every way, shape and form, and that's all gonna have to come through practice. I'm sure that's something a lot of aspiring remixers/music producers want, though. Besides that… I guess I just want to be able to make something someday that I can personally be 100% proud of, in every respect, and not just in certain ways. This sort of ties into the first long-term goal in a sense, but at the same time it's a much more personal milestone I want to reach as even if I do objectively become a much stronger producer, my standards may still be above what I can be happy with, so what I want is to one day pass said standards, or at least match them. The day I pass my standards though might be the day I can never improve any further, however, so there's that.
Let's get serious for a minute: what do you think of the "I herd you liek Mudkips" phenomenon?
Do I love me some serious questions. Also lol I've written so much right now. My hands hurt. Aaaahhhh!

I think it can be somewhat overused at times, but it's kinda funny I suppose. I actually wasn't even thinking of the consequences when choosing to include the word "Mudkip" in my name at the time of creating my YouTube channel, but it hasn't been so bad to be honest when it comes to the "I herd you leik Mudkips" meme. I've gotten… MAYBE twenty-five comments in total in relation to it, so it could be worse haha.




So you think the best Pokemon is Mudkip, right?
No.
Torchic's way better. Treeko's smug 'n ugly, though, so at least Mudkip wins that one.
…..........................................................................................
……..........................
… Fine, I was joking, but I had you, right?! c: Mudkip is too cute for words, like holy crap. He's sort of derpy looking, I think, and I find that kind of endearing. Swampert is a beast as well. All in all Mudkip's a killer Pokemon, and definitely one of my favourites. I'm sure I've used him in my Hoenn region adventures at least a gazillion times by now.

What exactly does "Electric Mudkip? mean?
Solid question!… I can't really provide a solid answer though, hah. I've always been not honestly the best at coming up with nick-names to go by on the web, and "ElectricMudkip" was more-or-less one of the first things that came to mind, so I decided to stick with it. I've come to interpret the "Electric" part as basically an indication that my Mudkip mascot guy that you see in every video of mine knows the move Thunderbolt, though, so I suppose that's the closest I can come to what the "Electric" part means. To add to this, the Mudkip could also be part Electric-type as well and not just Water-type, to spice it up or something.
What's the best region AND best Pokemon game (in your opinion)?
 Best region: a tie between Hoenn and Unova. I admit that I probably only chose Hoenn because of nostalgia, but I digress! Best game: objectively, I think Black and White coupled with its sequels were the most solid experiences as a whole, though X & Y has been a lot of fun. I just wish there was more to do in the post-game.
Do you consider yourself a "hardcore" gamer?
I actually don't; I'm more of a hardcore anime-watcher than game-player now a days haha. I've found that with my hobby I'm at my computer almost constantly and there's not a whole lot of computer games I'm into, so it's more convenient for me to watch anime when I'm just chilling instead of mucking around on a console or whatever. Having said all this, however, I play my 3DS consistently enough so there's a good amount of handheld games I still play (and not just Pokemon!).
Are you one of those trainers who grinds the living crap out of your Pokemon and constantly breeds them for IVs and EVs? And what about shinies?
I don't care about shiny Pokemon unless I randomly get one (got a shiny Fearow in generation four out of the blue, I love my Fearow to death), but I want to get more involved in the Pokemon meta-game. It's intriguing to me, and I love battling with real people. I have yet to start to get really into the whole debacle, as it's kind of intimidating and there's a LOT to prepare for, but I'm getting there. So to answer your question more clearly: I'm ALMOST one of those people. I will be eventually, once I figure out how it all works and stuff.
Lastly, the most important question of all: what do you think of dubstep?
WUB WUB WUUUUB!!! I love lots of sub-genres inside Electronic Dance Music's humongous library, and dubstep is of no exception. You can actually hear some dubstep influence in some of my own tracks, if you listen intently. To be fair though, I suppose I'm a little bit picky with my dubstep: the less melodic it is in nature, the more I'm likely to not really enjoy it. But in general I definitely don't mind the genre--it's one of those genre's that you need a lot of skill to make a track in properly, and I respect that.
_____________________________________________
Anyway, I would like to thank the Electric Mudkip for allowing me to interview him. Thank you so much, buddy.
These interviews should appear on the first Sunday of every given month. As such, on April 5th, my new interviewee (is that a word, even?) shall be......
(Drum roll sound effect)
THE STRING PLAYER GAMER!
Anyways, have a pleasant March! I shall see you next Sunday!

NOTE: THIS ARTICLE IS PART OF THE LEGACY LIST. FOR MORE INFORMATION, CLICK HERE.

1 comment:

  1. And eventual you'll end up with Marshstomp

    ReplyDelete