Monday, July 29, 2013

7/29/13 Fun Facts of the Day

For this Fun fact of the Day, I'm going to share some triva about everybody's favorite game (to which  I repeatedly yammered on about in other posts), this is going to be the last one for a while (maybe).

There are several interesting beta elements that were removed from the Animal Crossing GameCube title.
-The sickle, presumably for use in some kind of farming feature. If hacked, it appears as a net in the inventory, but once equipped, it looks like nothing.
-The blue fish, an enigmatic item most likely used to test fish items.
-Unknown, an item that appears as a triangle with the Japanese characters for "DUMMY" on it.
-The paper airplane, a toy with no actual purpose.....

If your a hardcore gamer, you've probably heard of Totaka's Song. It's a 19-note melody you may find hidden in several games. For example, in Animal Crossing: City Folk (AKA Let's go to the City), if you wait a while on the bus at the beginning, the driver (Kapp'n) will whistle it. Its most recent appearence is in New Leaf, where DJ K.K. will occasionally play among his mixes. The irony is heightened by the fact that K.K. Slider is a reference to Totaka himself.

Originally, in New Leaf, there was an ability to pan for gold......... Wait. What?

There is a glitch character hidden within the first Animal Crossing game. Going under the name of "Blazel" among fans, it appears as a cross of the villagers Bliss and Hazel. It can only be accessed through hacking, and will repeat a dialogue sample from Kapp'n.

Oddly enough, in the original Animal Crossing, you can play classic NES games, including Clu Clu Land, Donkey Kong, Punch-Out!!!, Balloon Fight, and Super Mario Bros. While they don't appear in other games, there are some crossovers, including several themed items for Mario, Metroid, Pikmin, and the Legend of Zelda, as well as the furniture piece "Arcade Machine" showing two characters with red and green clothing and hats....... hmmm.....

Lastly, one I noticed myself. I have not seen it anywhere else on the Internet. When at Re-tail, if you use any of the emotions, Cyrus and Reese will occasionally do it as well. So you can have some fun with that.

Well, that's about it. Until next time!

Saturday, July 20, 2013

QR Code for Animal Crossing: New Leaf

One of the great new features of Animal Crossing: New Leaf is the ability to use other people's QR Codes to obtain their customized designs. This is one of my favorites, a Sonic the Hedgehog T-Shirt, which is somewhat ironic considering the upoming release of Sonic: Lost World. To scan, interact with the sewing machine once it is obtained, overwrite one of your designs, and scan the QR Codes. Enjoy!

Sonic and Matthew Approved!
If the QR Codes are too small, copy and paste the image and increase the dimensions. ALL CREDIT GOES TO TUMBLR USER "somegrayguy".

Thursday, July 18, 2013

7/18/13 Fun Facts of the Day

On this Fun Facts of the Day, I will reveal some trivia about everybody's favorite overall-wearing plumber, Mario. SO without further ado, let's a-go! (finally, a time where that makes sense)

Everybody knows Goombas, right? Those walking brown mushrooms? WRONG! They are actually chestnuts. Nevertheless, this claim isn't really supported by the fact that, if you step on them, they flatten completely as if they are inflated.
Admit it. At one point, this guy killed us a couple of times.
This is a fairly well-known one. The Koopas, such as Paratroopas, Bowser, and the Koopalings, all deprive from the mythical creature, the Kappa. While many accounts of the mythical creatures differ, they all have shells like that of Bowser.

Did you know that Yoshi wasn't always supposed to be a dinosaur? He was orignially going to be a Koopa, and the saddle was supposed to be his shell.

You've heard of World -1, haven't you? The place accessed by ducking on the pipe and going through the wall at the exit of 1-2? While many consider this an easter egg, it was actually a genuine glitch. It was created by the game itself off of unused data.

There are plenty of other glitch levels as well. It's hard to explain, but while playing the original Mario Bros, take the cartridge out, and put in a Tennis game. (Sorry, I'm shaky on details.) Play for a little bit before switching that game out for Mario again. The amount of steps taken in the Tennis game determines what glitch area you will go to.

There is a theory about Super Mario Bros. 3. All the blocks have shadows, floating platforms typically are hung from the ceiling, and Mario exits each level at right into an area without a backdrop. The game never actually happened: It was all just a play.

Like other video game character, Mario doesn't seem to age as he gets older. This, however, is countered by the fact that Mario is a baby in Yoshi's Island. Also, while Yoshi is first revealed to be trapped in an egg by Bowser in Super Mario World, he doesn't seem to acknowledge the fact that he actually nurtured Mario in his childhood. This is kind of confusing, eve though it's often overlooked.

That's it for today. See you later, and feel free to leave comments!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Animal Crossing: New Leaf: Coelacanth Fishing Tips


Trying to Find the Coelacanth in Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Okay, so if anyone has ever heard of Animal Crossing, they sure as heck know of that dastardly coelacanth. I am pleased to announce that for the first time, I finally caught one of those guys. Out of pure happiness, I have decided to share some of my secrets to any struggling fisherman.

- This is the simplest step EVER, and for any veteran player, this is common sense. They can ONLY be caught in the middle of a thunderstorm or snowstorm.
-Everybody claims you can only catch it early in the morning or late at night. WRONG. I caught one at 5:30. I think that maybe they appear at a randomly selected time frame, but I'm not quite sure.
- All fishermen hate sea bass. The large fish raises the hopes of all fishermen reeling them in, hoping it to be a rare fish, and ultimately destroys any dreams they have. In New Leaf, however, there is a simple difference: Coelacanth's are slightly longer than the shadows of sea bass. It's shadow is the same size as that of the Napoleonfish.
-Location in the ocean does NOT make a difference. Scratch all of that gibberish like "They are more common near waterfalls" and "wear a snorkel" or "spin around a bajillion times to become lucky." There are no ways to increase chances of finding one.
-They are found exclusively in the ocean, but like all other ocean fish, they can be caught at the Tropical Seas. However, I recommend the ocean, because there is not the chances to reel up more common (though still slightly rare) fish such as the Giant Trevally, caught only on the Island.

Anyone else had luck? Has my advice helped? Please leave comments!

Friday, July 5, 2013

Let's Take a Look: Pokemon X and Y



The upcoming Pokemon game, Pokemon X and its variant Y, has shed some new light to the Pokemon series. Tread carefully, though. There will be spoilers....

I Choose You!
Every Pokemon game has starters. You know, those Pokemon that the trainer usually has throughout the whole game? Well, a new region means new starters, so let's take a look:
The Fire-type is a Fox Pokemon named Fennekin. It feasts on twigs, and its ears can heat up to over 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

The Grass-type is some kind of Chesnut called Chespin. He is a pretty mellow guy who never worries about the small things in life, and is curious. He also has a hard shell covering his head and back.

Lastly is a Water-type Pokemon Froakie, a frog. He is skilled at jumping and has protective bubbles on its chest and back, much like Chespin.


The The Good, The Bad, and the Fairy
For the first time in a REALLY long time, a new type has been added; the Fairy type. Little is known about it thus far, but it is super effective against Dragon types.
it is super-effective against Dragon-types, so now we have a Pokemon that can beat the crap out of Dragonite.
Dragonite is unimpressed. RAAAAAAAAAAAGE!
Several Pokemon now are part Fairy-type, including Jigglypuff, Marill, and Gardevoir. There will also be new Pokemon, such as a flower Pokemon named Flabebe and a new Eevee-lution, Sylveon.
For all who fantasized of a pink Eevee.
One, Two, Three....
No longer just a joke or pile of random youtube videos, There is now a Mewthree. It is a new form of Mewtwo, known as "Awakened Mewtwo". However, that's pretty much all I know.

Legen- what for it-Dary.
There are two new headlining legendaries to represent each game. The first is Xerneas, which appears to be an elk or deer with multicolored antlers. With its legs spread out, it should look like an X.


The other is some sort of flying creature called Yveltal. When it spreads its arms during flight, it forms the shape of a Y.

There are numerous other Pokemon to make their debut in the brand-new Kalos region, but I won't spoil too much. The games are scheduled to come out in October. I look forward to these games, and you should as well.... They look pretty sweet. Until next time, See you!



Thursday, July 4, 2013

Let's Take a Look: Mario Kart 8

A new series of posts of mine, "Let's Take a Look", will be dedicated to viewing BIG, upcoming games. this is my first, and it will be about Mario Kart 8. So, without further ado, let's dive in!
Gameplay:
A new Mario Kart game is scheduled for release in the spring of 2013. It is to be released for the Wii U, and will feature the previous mechanics, such as flying and diving. In addition, a new anti-gravity mechanic is scheduled to make its debut; on certain courses, you will be able to seemingly defy gravity by taking different paths. There will also be a feature (possibly) that will allow Double Dash!!-style racing. There will also be the return of kart customization.
The trailer can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5LgUzkeESk

Below is a list of upcoming courses that have been revealed thus far.
> A new Mario Circuit. It will use the anti-gravity mechanism.
Looks pretty cool, huh?
> A course composed of candies and desserts. It will contain lollipop trees and wafer windmills.
Hey, you guys mind pausing the race? The windmills look delicious.
> A course that appears to be some kind of ancient ruins.

> A metropolis-like course. It looks representative of a stereotypical suburban area, and a parody of the Statue of Liberty can be clearly seen.

> There is also going to be the return of the GCN course "Dry Dry Desert" and the 3DS courses "Music Park" and "Piranha Power Slide".

Fun Facts:
Originally, instead of the anti-gravity mechanic, there was an idea for some kind of drilling mechanic. Ultimately, anti-gravity ended up proving more popular.

I hope you enjoyed this sneak peek! See you next time!

Upcoming Games

Ever since my favorite video game magazine stopped publiation (RIP Nintendo Power), I have been searching far and wide for better magazines to inform me of upcoming games, specifically Nintendo products. Unfortunately, I've found no luck.
So, I've decided to compile a list myself of upcoming games to interest you (if you don't have a magazine or any sources).

The next installment of the Mario & Luigi series, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is scheduled for release in the next few weeks. Interestingly, the whole story seems to be existent in Luigi's dreams, thus several new mechanics, including moving Luigi's face to affect his dreams, help make this, at the very least, an interesting title.

I tried this at home; all there was remaining wa half a moustache. Kids, don't try this at home!
A new Pikmin game is planned to be released in August. I will go more in depth later.

The retail release of New Super Luigi U is coming soon. It is a parody of New Super Mario Bros. U, to commemorate the "Year of Luigi". Luigi takes the leading role, and Mario is replaced with a minor antagonist  in NSMBU; that extremely annoying thief, Nabbit. It features the same basic world map overview, but all the levels are all-new. It is to be released in Late August.
Hmmmmm.... Where's Mario?
Pokemon X and Y will be coming out in October. I will look at it more closely in an upcoming preview.

A new installment in the Olympic-crossover "Mario and Sonic" games about the 2014 Olympics in Sochi is scheduled for release in November. I'm no expert on this series, but from what I can tell, the winter sports include skiing, bobsledding, and curling.
Oh, the nostalgia. Anybody else remember Mushroom Bridge?
A new Mario Party game, Mario Party (tentative title) is scheduled to release in November as well. There are probably a lot of new mechanics, but so far, few have been revealed.
And so, Banzai sprinting failed as an Olympic sport.
A new 3-D Mario game, Super Mario 3d Land, based off the 3DS release, will be released in December. Expect a more extensive preview later.

A new Sonic game, Sonic: Lost World, will also be released in the holiday season. A preview will be coming up soon.

Mario Kart 8 will be released in 2014. It has one main new feature, the ability to defy gravity on select courses. I will go more in depth later.

A new Yoshi spin-off, Yarn Yoshi, will be released at an unannounced date in the future. It is in a similar style to Kirby's Epic Yarn, featuring Yoshi made out of yarn, sometimes taking on a three-dimensional, crocheted form.
How charming!
Super Smash Bros. U will be released in 2014. Expect a more extensive preview in the future.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

7/3/13 Fun Facts of the Day

This is my second compilation of fun facts. I'm going to go along the theme of......... POKEMON! So, let's grab a Swampert so we can dive in! (Horrible jokes for the win!)

There are several unused Pokemon models. The two most notable are Kurusu and Honoguma. Kurusu is a blue Water-type Pokemon that was supposedly #212 in the National Pokedex. Honoguma is essentially the opposite; it's a Fire-type Pokemon with flaming red fur. They are sometimes considered versions of a seal Pokemon called Seel and a teddy bear-like Pokemon called Teddiursa.

There are also several other unnamed Pokemon. One appears to be a cross between a Clefairy and a Hitmontop Its body is a top with six feet and has a pink face with a circle above its head. Another was a turtle; pictures exist but little is actually known about it, but fan speculation compares it to the Pokemon Tirtouga, also a turtle. Even less data surrounds an unnamed sheep; it's only proof of existence is from an interview with creaters Ken Sugimori and Junichi Masuda, claiming it was based on Dolly, the first cloned sheep, but it proved too controversial for Pokemon and was supposedly scrapped.

The Pokemon Shellos, and its evolution, Gastrodon, were originally supposed to be in the Hoenn region, but shows up later in the Sinnoh region. An image of its back can be found in the (Hoenn) game's data in addition to its sound when summoned to battle.


In the first few games, Red, Blue, and Yellow, a truck exists in the port of Vermillion City. Oddly enough, fan speculation led to the idea that, by using HM Strength, you could move it over to recieve a Poke ball with the legendary Pokemon Mew inside. This is dismissed as fake, though.The rumor took notice from the Pokemon team, and in remakes of the games, the player can find Lava Cookies, a rare item, close to the truck.

A unique Pokemon Game for the Gamecube called "Hey You, Pikachu" contains a curious Easter Egg. When you say "PlayStation" into the built-in microphone, Pikachu will get angry and discharge.

If you have anything you would like to add, please comment!


Monday, July 1, 2013

7/1/13 Fun Facts of the Day!

Oh, YAY! This is gonna be pretty fun! As I mentioned earlier, I will be posting some fun facts about everybody's favorite video games, and possibly some you've never heard of. Anyway, "Let's-a-go!"

Kirby (the universe's favorite pink hero) was named after John Kirby, a man who aided Nintendo in a lawsuit, claiming that Donkey Kong deprived from the movie King Kong.

Kirby games weren't even supposed to be about Kirby at all! Kirby's character was a placeholder for a character named "Twinkle Popo." Ultimately, the team decided to go with Kirby because, come on, Kirby's awesome.

Oddly, on nearly every Kirby game cover, he looks angry. In Japan, though, he looks neutral or happy. This is thought to account for cultural differences.

Lastly, several Kirby games have world names that create an acronym when combined. For example, in Kirby's Return to Dreamland:

Cookie Country
Raisin Ruins
Onion Ocean
White Wafers
Nutty Noon
Egg Engines
Dangerous Dinner

This spells out "CROWNED", which is a reference to the fact that the whole game was for the antagonist, Magolor, to obtain a crown to get ultimate powers. Similarly, in the French game, the worlds spell out "PARFAIT" meaning "perfect" in French (and is also a dessert)

Any more awesome Kirby Fun Facts? Feel free to share them via comments!

Introduction to Everything About Video Games

This is a new blog that I've started to create on July 1st, 2013. In this, I will select video game fun facts, post written reviews, and a bunch of other nifty stuff. Hopefully, this will be a fully functioning blog.

Under any circumstances, LETS GET THIS STARTED!!

By the way, if you don't know this guy, you are really messed up.